NFPA 2013 proposed changes
September 21, 2012
Every five years, each NFPA Technical Committee has the important job to ensure that the standards under their watch are updated to reflect the ever increasing hazards that firefighters face. The purpose of this communication is to provide you with an update regarding the revision of two critical standards that affect the design of open circuit self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) and personal alert safety system (PASS) devices.
The NFPA 1981 and 1982 standard editions are scheduled to be released in November 27, 2012. Products which are approved to the NFPA 2007 edition standards may be sold until August 2013, in compliance with NFPA’s 8.5-month grandfather policy.
There are seven major areas of focus that have been incorporated into the 2013 edition standard draft:
1. Improved lens durability (NFPA 1981)
2. Improved speech communication (NFPA 1981)
3. Emergency breathing supply system (EBSS) (NFPA 1981)
4. End of service time indicator set point (NFPA 1981)
5. Intrinsic safety requirements (NFPA 1981 & 1982)
6. PASS device sound pattern (NFPA 1982)
7. Radio PASS requirements (NFPA 1982)
You can find the detailed information from MSA by clicking here or you can visit the NFPA website for Standard 1981 and Standard 1982.
View the NFPA 1971:2013 White Paper by clicking here.